Halsall is a village in West Lancashire, located close to Ormskirk on the A5147 and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The parish has a population of 1,921 and covers an area of 28.31 square Kilometres. The church and much of the village stand on a rocky ridge, in marked contrast to the low-lying flat peat moss land between the ridge and the sand of Ainsdale and Birkdale.
Halsall is where the first sod was ceremonially dug, on 5 November 1770, by the Hon. Charles Mordaunt of Halsall Hall for the commencement of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, and a sculpture just across the bridge from the Saracen’s Head pub now commemorates this.